Monday, April 1, 2013

Love in the face of war

Well, I blog a lot about our struggles, because, well, we struggle. Mental illness is not all it's cracked up to be, folks. Even with all the struggles, though, there is so much good.

I tend to focus on the negatives. It's a personality flaw of mine, I suppose. I do it to protect myself, but in protecting myself, I sabotage myself. It's a vicious circle, I know. So, today, instead of nurturing the negatives, I thought I'd look on the brighter side of life.

My husband and I are about to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary. Which, is, incredible. We've been through a lot, my friends, and that is oversimplifying in the extreme. We've, literally, been through a war and we keep fighting that war every day. Even though we have been drug through hell and back, our marriage has been strong and steady. It's been the one constant in my life for these past 11 years.

My husband has been my rock and my inspiration and he's been my world. He's encouraged me, in so many ways, to be who I really am and not who other people want me to be. And through it all, through the very dark times and through the war, he's showed me love. Lots and lots of love. I can't say that I would be the person I am today without him.

All of this seems trite and cliche. It seems like a sentimental rant, I get it. What I need for people to understand, though, is that even through all of my husband's problems and through his internal war, he can still step outside of himself enough to show me what I mean to him.

So, I mean, 11 years. It's an accomplishment. It's a huge milestone. And every day, every hour, every second of those 11 years has been precious to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment